Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What I've Learned Thus Far....

Okay, I will admit it.  I have the tendency to over analyze EVERYTHING.  In fact, I am now over thinking the fact that I over analyze every situation.  That personality characteristic fosters discipline and motivation; however, the tendency to over analyze can also be a liability.  What is a blessing can also, at times, be a curse... Especially during the first few months that I became a mother.  Now that Calleigh is almost six months old (young?), I've learned to settle down, hang back a bit, and be more gentle on myself. 

If I could transport myself back to October 1, 2010 (the day Calleigh was born), I would share the following tidbits of advice with the terrified, excited, and overwhelmed new mother (myself, obviously):
  • You are going to make mistakes, and IT IS OKAY!

  • Your parents know more than you might think (sheepish grin).  Take their advice.

  • Don't listen to anyone who says having a newborn is easy.  He/she is either lying or forgetting.  As grateful as you are for being given the chance to have a child, it can be overwhelming, challenging, and difficult.  Shed some tears, guilt-free. 

  • Things will get easier.

  • You will love your daughter with every fiber of your being.  You will never understand the feeling and connection until you experience it.

  • As trite as it might sound, time really does fly.  It will seem to accelerate now that you have a baby.  Enjoy every. single. moment.
Calleigh, minutes after she was born, with Dr. Prince




1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for the advice! I can't wait unti Baby B arrives and you can pass on what you've learned! xo