Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The best lesson learned from the worst advice given

I received the worst advice from a duck...well, not quite a duck, but a euphemism for a pediatrician who doled out what I believe to be harmful advice.
I am eternally grateful that my parents (especially my father) intervened, and that a friend offered her opinion.
Here's a recap: I was exhausted, emotional, excited, nervous, and experiencing a tremendous amount of pain when Josh, Shantee, and I arrived for Calleigh's first pediatrician visit.  The excitement and anticipation of Calleigh's first appointment outweighed the anxiety.  I am now slightly embarrassed to admit that I even dressed up for the occasion (insert sheepish grin). 
As soon as the doctor entered the treatment room, he asked if we purchased a sleep positioner.  "Yes, we did.." I replied.."..however, an alert was issued that the positioners were recently recalled so we returned it..." Suspicion immediately arose in my mind...didn't the doctor review current medical literature? I internally chided myself for being "neurotic"..."must've been a slight oversight.." I convinced myself...The doctor looked visibly annoyed and replied, "Anyway...can I see your feeding charts?" I felt like  a proud child sharing an art project with a parent..The doctor looked at the chart and stated dismissively, "She's eating too much..." as he quickly tossed the charts on my diaper bag...Too much?! 1.5 ounces every two hours?! What was I doing incorrectly? I have a typical type A personality, so I always am looking to do "the right thing"... The doctor then weighed Calleigh, announcing "she weighs 8.2 pounds"....Josh and I shared a pleased glance...Yay!! Our baby was gaining weight!! The doctor interjected.."she's gaining weight too fast"...Which in my mind translated to : "you have no idea what you are doing"...The pediatrician went on to describe a convoluted plan to "stretch" the time between Calleigh's feedings....if she displayed signs of hunger before the 3-4 hour mark (keep in mind, at this point, Calleigh was six days old) we were instructed to "distract" Calleigh by giving her a pacifier, rocking her, "shushing" her, etc...Being the eternal "good students" that Josh and I are, we vowed to each other that we would stick to the doctor's orders and plans.
The next few weeks, we started to notice that Calleigh was crying and screaming more than she previously had been.  At times, she was inconsolable.  I called the doctor and asked if perhaps the plan was too strict for a baby of Calleigh's age.  "No..." the doctor insisted..."Stick with the plan..SHE HAS TO LEARN" (Side Note:I now know that the only thing a baby will learn at that age if parents ignore her crying is that her needs will not be met...Each baby's needs are variable, and all of the literature cited by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) affirms the notion that newborns should feed "on demand". Further, the AAP notes that infants should not be placed on feeding schedules, and that they should be fed as soon as they show signs of hunger, including, but not limited to: mouthing, rooting, and crying..all signs that the pediatrician advised that we mask until the 3-4 hour mark was reached).
The hours stretched into days, and Calleigh's crying and screaming continued.  What I envisioned and hoped to be a happy and joyful time became stressful and exhausting.  My parents kept suggesting (first gently, and then more loudly) that we feed Calleigh more.  I became defensive and accused them of overfeeding Calleigh.  My father announced that if I were continue to deprive Calleigh of her bottles ("But the doctor says...!" I'd protest), he was going to dissociate from us.  I began to realize that friends would exchange looks and recommend that I feed Calleigh. I saw looks of concern cloud their faces when I would remark that it was not yet four hours between feedings.  Finally, one fateful Saturday night, when Calleigh was a month old, Jennifer and Jason Saltzman visited for dinner.  Calleigh was screaming and crying.  Jennifer, a speech pathologist, stated: "She's hungry..she's rooting.."Josh and I replied that it had only been three hours since Calleigh's last feeding.  Jen quietly persisted.."She is too young to be on a strict schedule like that..I think you should feed her.." For those of you do not know Jen, you should be aware how powerful those words were coming from her mouth, as Jen is not the type to judge or pontificate.  I finally woke up...I was not listening to my parents' advice, I was not following my instincts...I was blindly following the words of the pediatrician. 


After researching the topic (of course, I needed concrete evidence), I learned that imposing such strict feeding regimens on newborns is not only foolish, but dangerous as well.  According to the AAP, following such advice can lead to "...dehydration and failure to thrive..." among other things...


I am grateful to report that once we began to feed Calleigh as soon as she displayed signs of hunger, she returned to her usual happy and easy-going personality.  I finally understood what it meant to feel as if a weight were lifted off of one's shoulders..I could breathe again...and, oh, we changed pediatricians...



The bottom line is: always trust your instincts.
Jen and Jason Saltzman

Calleigh as a newborn, finally eating on demand

3 comments:

JessicaMackFitness said...

#

*
Jessica Bertalon Mack Check out the latest post. Friends who are parents, and those who are not, feel free to read, comment etc. I would love to receive feedback!
*
Jen Bertalon I will read it this weekend.... off to bed! xo
Tuesday at 9:08pm · LikeUnlike
*
Jessica Bertalon Mack Goodnight! Xoxo
Tuesday at 9:08pm · LikeUnlike
*
Jen Bertalon love it! I couldn't wait until the weekend.
Tuesday at 9:09pm · LikeUnlike
*
Jessica Bertalon Mack Thank you :)

*
Courtney Cleveland Love it...... Can't wait to read more.
Tuesday at 9:14pm ·
*
Shelby Sanders Ronan Wow, i am so glad you finally listened to your friend. I cannot imagine how difficult it was for you to hold her off. I am so sorry you all had to go thru that.
Tuesday at 9:15pm ·
*
Michelle Sheehy Button Good for you Jess! I actually am a psychotherapist specializing in pregnant and postpartum women.. would love to share your blog with my clients!! Yes, motherhood is the most exciting and overwhelming time for us!! Keep writing!!
Tuesday at 9:23pm ·
*
*
*
Kerry Washington No one knows your baby like you do, a medical degree does not make one an expert on your baby. I knew I loved my pediatrician from our first visit when he looked at my neatly charted feeding schedule, gently grabbed my hand and told me to stop charting and start enjoying my baby. You're doing a great job!
*
Peggy Hahn Moran
Great post! Don't kick yourself for trying to do what the doctor recommended. It's a completely natural instinct as a new parent to put your full faith in the pediatrician, even to the point where you deny your own instincts. You're not the... first person to have done that, and you will not be the last. And this will not be the last time you get conflicting input from different sources (some more credible than others). But I have to say, some of the best advice I've gotten--usually in the form of gentle prodding--has been from family.

Sorry to ramble on. Bottom line is you do what's working for your child AND what's right for you. You'll never be perfect--none of us are. But it sounds to me like you're doing great and you have a happy, healthy baby. Can't ask for more than that!

*
Amy Hicks Peronace well written! love it! So proud of you for coming around, trusting your gut and getting rid of that pediatrician!

*
Allison Cohen Hall great that you are writing!

*
Jessica Bertalon Mack Thank you! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it! I also hope it provides people with a forum in which lively discussions (not arguments) can occur!

*
Jason Saltzman glad it is working out for you! You need to be comfortable with whoever your ped is. I know mine was accused of sexual inappropriateness with his female patients and moved away. Josh prob knows who i am talking about.

*
Jessica Bertalon Mack Yes, I know too! So crazy!

Unknown said...

So glad it all worked out....and despite not following that strict schedule, you have a healthy, thriving, happy, beautiful baby girl! Every child needs something different and you quickly learned what Calleigh was trying to tell you!

Jenn Petito said...

Wow....reading your blog brings back so many memories for me of probably the most emotionally overwhelming time of my life. I could go from over the top happiness to feeling like a complete failure within minutes. I just want to comment on your feeding blog - I had a similar situation & was so concerned that I would overfeed my son & have a fat, unhealthy baby so I followed the "instructions" I was given. My mother kept gently suggesting that I feed him more explaining that's why he was crying & at that age babies are crying for what they need-he wasn't being greedy. I rebelled, telling my mom it had been 25 years since she had a baby - what did she know (burn!!). Well, the lesson learned (over & over again) is take the advice you can from your parents....they raised you well after all! I mean yes - some of their advice may be dated (ie my father still insisting whiskey on the gums is great for teething lol) but when you dig through there is much that can be learned from them. In my situation, the turning point came one sleepless night when I just lost it because I couldn't figure out how to appease my screaming child....throwing my hands up in failure. My mother firmly said -he needs to eat -feed him (as she walked in the room with a bottle). She took him from me, fed him, & he settled down. She let my emotions settle and explained that she knew I was following instructions but a baby is a person, not a toy out of a box....sometimes there are no instructions. You have to read their language & adapt. Like you, Jess, I can report my son returned to a happy, active, fulfilled baby soon after!